2007년 9월 20일 목요일

Friends they come, friends they go.

August and September have been a jolly happy time for me because I was visited by some rather special guests. Phil and Elle, my friends since early childhood, decided (I'm not sure how) to spend some hard earnt money (well, some earnt money) coming out to Korea and seeing the sights. They had a whole crossover thing worked out as Phil was busy with his band in the studio in August and Elle had to get back to start her masters course in September, but I eventually understood once it had been explained a few times.


Elle came first and we managed to meet at Seoul station without too much difficulty and no mobile phones. It was ace, just like before mobile technology took over our lives. I remember the old days when someone would say "Yes, I'll be at this place at that time", and they would stick to it. None of those phone calls whilst your waiting at Hendon Central apologising but saying they'll be twenty minutes late. That's all well and good that you've called me, but I'm still standing here, waiting, looking like a tosser. Just because you can phone and apologise doesn't make it alright to be late without a good reason. And no, doing your hair is not an excuse boys and girls. Ok, rant over.


Of course I'm not talking about anyone specifically here. Simply my general generation. We're all guilty of abusing mobile communications at some point.


Elle spent a happy two weeks hanging out at my apartment, coming into school to observe the madness of my students (her words, not mine), and navigating the important sights of Seoul. Eventually Phil turned up and the two of them took off to Daecheon to enjoy the beach and seafood delights. Well, Phil enjoyed the seafood, I think Elle was a bit iffy when it came to octopus. Before Elle left we had a great night out at club night in Seoul and stayed down there to shove Elle on an aiport-bound bus and show new teacher/arrival Felicty a few sights and sounds of Seoul. Mainly Starbucks and a greek restaurant, but I think she got the picture.


Phil stayed for the next two weeks and did the same things Elle had. In fact he made her write him a list he could copy, lazy boy. We hung out, went out in Seoul, and went noraebanging (singing karoake in private rooms) a number of times. Phil's rendition of Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" (the Titanic theme tune) bought a tear to my eye, though perhaps for the wrong reasons. We also made it to the Under-17s World Cup Final (the ticket for which included the 3rd place match before hand). 2 games, Seoul World Cup Stadium, five pounds. Cheap as chips. And a couple of fun matches, especially the final penaty shoot-out to decided the wholee thing. Much easier to watch those when neither country is yours. Congrats went out to Nigeria, who beat Spain to lift the cup, and Germany who beat Ghana to come in 3rd.

I loved having Phil and Elle, and now that they've gone I only have one and a half month's left before I finish my contract and travel around Japan and Russia. It's getting exciting.....



Oh, additionally, enjoy this. It's a photo of my 6 year old class with the homage to big bird we made by drawing around and cutting out our hands. My hand is Big Bird's hand as theirs were too small. Lovely stuff.

댓글 없음: