2007년 11월 27일 화요일

Goodbye Korea, Hello... urmm... unemployment.

So, it's been a while since my last blog, and (prompted by my mother, thanks dear) I've decided to do a final one before I leave Korea. A sort of round up of my time here and all that lovely stuff.


My last month was a blast, and I was busy busy busy. I took another trip to Everland Theme Park, but this time with my friends not my school. Good times, though we ended the night watching England lose in the RWC Final. Not so good. The bar I was in had a good helping of South Africans too, which didn't help console me. On the upside though, we got to the final when no-one thought we would, so pats on the back all round boys. Chin up, as they say.


My last day at school was our Halloween activity day. In the morning we had to dress up in a costume and take our Kindergarten kids around town trick or treating. It was actually rather fun, as all their parents came out and followed us around giving our sweets and taking lots of photos. I was dressed as Harry Potter (I wanted something English), and my other foreign co-workers were the Devil, a pirate, and Wonder Woman. We made quite a motley crew.


(For more photos from Halloween check out this album - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2090046&l=8fbaf&id=16105286 )


I then went to Japan, and I've just got back for a few final days in Korea before John and I embark on our Trans Siberian adventure home. Japan really deserves it's own blog, but who knows when I'll get around to that.


My time in Korea has been exceptionally fun. Before I left a geezer told me to enjoy it and don't worry about making it "the best year of my life". I agreed. Especially because calling something the best year lessens the importance of other things you've done in life. Every experience is important, just in different ways. Plus, it would suggest it's all downhill from here. I suppose "the best year of my life so far" would be better, but I still don't approve. Anyway, I took his advice and have indeed enjoyed it.


I've made lots of good friends in and around Munsan and I've discovered I'm mildly good at teaching small kids English. School has been a whirlwind some days and a bore others. The kids are crazy and I wouldn't have them any other way. My favourites have definitely been my kindergarten kids. Always full of energy and very loud (mainly in Korean, though I tried hard with English) and incredibly unpredictable. I've been jumped on, laughed at, ignored, run away from, jokingly attacked, and vomited on, but it's been good fun. Sometimes hagwon (private after-school) teaching gets put down, especially with the youngest kids. Some call it babysitting, but I really believe I made some progress, with certain kids anyway. My five year old class came to me (and my Korean co-teacher) not knowing any English at all, but now they can count to 20, name colours, name close to one hundred picture cards, say what food they like and what they're wearing. It's a start anyway.


Korea is an interesting country. It's economically sound, with impressive car, mobile phone, and television industries. The people are welcoming and generous, even if they do get a little shocked and stare at westerners in small towns. We do stand out an awful lot though. Japanese people dye their hair a lot more, but the majority of Koreans stick with their nature-given dark brown. Dying often just turns it orange. So anyone with different coloured hair is an easy spot. I've been said "Hello" to so many times walking around town I've lost count. I just came from a supermarket and outside three high school girls giggled away as they said hello and asked me where I was from. Every day, I think, it happens. I don't mind, except early in the morning when I haven't had any caffiene.


I've fallen in love with Korean food, including instant spicy noodles, pancaked sausage on a stick, anything else on a stick, dumplings, DIY barbecue pork (galbi), and the old favourite - kimchi. If you haven't yet heard me talk about kimchi look it up on Wikipedia or something. Phil tells me it is available at a local Korean store in London, so those of in Hendon might well get a chance to try some at a Korean style food thing when I'm back. Maybe.


I also adore one of the great Korean entertainments - private karaoke (noraebang). These singing rooms have a become a staple on nights out, especially in Munsan. We sing some absolute classics and my friend Vicky and I always rock the shop with our rendition of Under The Sea (from the Disney film The Little Mermaid). Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, Every Me and Every You by Placebo, Anarchy in the UK by the Sex Pistols, and of course any Brit pop like Oasis and Blur, are also great favorites.


Highlights of my year include Pentaport Rock Festival, the trip to Busan, any night out in Seoul, and getting to know my newest friends. I've been around to witness some historic stuff between the two Koreas, long may it continue. All in all, it's been ace. And there you have it.


If you care for photos, I've got many Japan trip albums on Facebook, but if you're not on that addictive network you can look at them through these links. There are far too many photos, but that's what you get with digital cameras isn't it!


Tokyo 1 - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2091827&l=3c58e&id=16105286
Tokyo 2 - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2092267&l=436d8&id=16105286
Tokyo 3 - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2092272&l=50514&id=16105286
Himeji Castle - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2092279&l=c8f80&id=16105286
Kyoto - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2092298&l=8822a&id=16105286
Nara - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2092300&l=44d5f&id=16105286
Mt. Fuji - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2093463&l=5f53e&id=16105286

댓글 없음: