2007년 7월 4일 수요일

It's raining, it's pouring.

The rainy season has official started here. Granted, we're not doing as badly as a lot of the rest of the world but the rain can be pretty insane. Over the weekend it rained constantly, only stopping every now and then as if to give people false hope that it might clear up. Saturday night in particular was crazy with thunderstorms lashing my town and lightning striking all around. The thunder was shaking my windows and giving my apartment block quite a jiggle.

It's only the start though. July is said to be wet wet wet, and then I've been told August will be hot hot hot. I thought the 29 and 30 degrees we were getting in June was it but it's going to get worse. So they say. Ah well, weird weather is one of the exciting perks of world travel. At least the summer rain here is warm.

Apart from the rain the country seems to be gettign on quite well. I'm beginning to feel slightly like I've worked here forever and I've forgotten what holidays are like. Thankfully I get a holiday in 3 1/2 weeks, and it won't be a moment too soon. We're off to a rock festival to enjoy some muddy relaxation and I'm certain it's going to be a blast.

The summer blockbuster season is keeping me happy at the box office. Not always totally satisfied (Shrek 3 was the first film I've ever called 'too short'), but happy. We've had most of the trilogies, and Hot Fuzz finally came along. I was pleasantly surprised by Transformers which, for a Michael Bay film (he of Armageddon and Pearl Harbor fame-shame) was actually rather enjoyable. I found out later that many of the 'bots were voiced by the original guys from the eighties cartoon series, a great extra touch. I've still got Harry Potter 5, Die Hard 4, and the Simpsons to look forward to in the next few months. Releasing films simultaneously worldwide is a great step forward, may it last. Next year we Brits will have to wait a little for some blockbusters as money grabbing execs won't bring them out during Euro 2008 or even the Olympics. Some people...

The only other thing I can think to speak of is the fun I had last night watching an advert on tv. It was for, wait for it, Spam! I almost wet myself from laughing. The ad had a hansome Korean guy using Spam in all sorts of exciting culinary ways. Spam canopes. Spam wrapped around rice. Fried Spam, grilled Spam, Spam on a stick. I've discovered it's an extended version of one you can see on YouTube. It's a short one but you can jump on my laughter train (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ez9Ca0ANk).

I can't stop grinning about Spam now. Hehehe. No, I think I'm gonna have to stop typing and go an chuckle somewhere...

댓글 없음: